SAJC Guide to Betting
There's nothing like placing a winning bet at the Races!
The below information will assist you in understanding the basic types of bets that you are able to choose from as well as how to place your bet.
Basic types of bets
- Win: Your chosen horse must come first
- Place: Your chosen horse must finish in the top three places to win. (There must be at least 8 horses in the race for a 3rd place dividend, there is no place pool for races with 4 runners or less)
- Each way: Wager on a horse to either come 1st or in a place
- Quinella: Choosing two horses finishing 1st and 2nd to win
- Trifecta: Select 1st, 2nd and 3rd finishing horses in the correct order to win
- First Four: You select 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th finishes horses in the correct order to win
(Quinellas, Trifectas and First Fours can be 'boxed' meaning your selections may finish in any order in the required placings to win)
How to place a bet
You can choose to bet with either a Bookmaker, generally located in the 'Betting Ring' and/or with the UBET at service locations on course.
Information that you will be asked when placing a bet:
- Race meeting location
- Race number*
- Bet type, for example, win or each way (as explained above)
- Horse number(s) that you would like to bet on*
- Amount you would like to spend (e.g. $5 or $10)
- When betting at a UBET window you may choose 'fixed' odds to obtain the fixed odds, otherwise your bet will automatically be placed on the variable odds, which will fluctuate and may be higher or lower when the race is run
"Think of the people who need your support. Gamble Responsibly"
*This information can be found in your race book provided on the day