Responsible Drinking & Gambling
The South Australian Jockey Club supports responsible drinking!
There are a number of ways you can drink alcohol responsibly and still have fun. The below tips will help you keep in control of your drinking and prevent things from getting ugly:
- Have a water or soft drink to quench your thirst before you start drinking alcohol.
- Set a limit and count your drinks (it is recommended that you have no more than 4 standard drinks on a single occasion*).
- Eat before and while you are drinking.
- One drink at a time. Avoid drinking in rounds and topping up drinks.
- Pace yourself. Have a non-alcohol drink as a spacer and take sips not gulps
- Keep active. Dance, play pool etc – you tend to drink less.
- Try low-alcohol alternatives (eg light or mid-strength beer).
- Plan safe transport. Have a designated driver, keep enough money to pay for a taxi or use public transport.
- Never mix alcohol with illicit drugs.
- Always check the effects of prescription drugs are not interfered with by alcohol
- If friends choose not to drink they should be supported in this decision.
- If someone is drinking and passes out or becomes unable to speak, dial 000 immediately.
The South Australian Jockey Club operates under a Responsible Gambling Code of Practice.
Responsible Gambling Mission Statement
The Racing Industry is governed by a Code of Practice that promotes the socially responsible use of its wagering services as a recreational and entertainment activity and minimises the potential harm associated with problem gambling.
“Don't let the game play you. Stay in control. Gamble Responsibly”